For the animal-lovers among us, National Pet Month is the perfect excuse to shower our pets with treats and toys, and show our appreciation for them.
Not that most of us don’t show our affection all year round anyway!
Unfortunately, not all pets are lucky and have access to a caring owner. That’s why National Pet Month aims to promote responsible pet ownership, and as a great platform to encourage donations to lots of the lovely pet charities out there. If you’re interested in getting stuck in this year, more information on how to do so can be found here.
Starting from today, National Pet Month runs until Monday May 2nd, and we’ve decided to celebrate it here at Ocean loans by teaming up with a handful of bloggers to provide them with the funds to treat their pet(s) without worrying about their finances.
The fact is…
To kick off National Pet Month in style, we’ve sifted the web to bring you our favourite weird and wonderful animal facts.
1. When sleeping, sea otters hold each other’s ‘hands’ to prevent them from drifting apart.
2. Long-tailed Gentoo penguins ‘propose’ to their partners by presenting a pebble to them.
3. On August 15, 2008, a penguin was knighted at Edinburgh Zoo.
4. The tongue of a blue whale alone can weigh as much as an elephant.
5. Within just half an hour of their birth, baby giraffes can usually already stand up.
6. Despite the long-standing myth that chameleons change colour to fit in with their surroundings, they actually change colour to reflect their emotions and to communicate with fellow chameleons.
7. Goats can pick up accents from each other.
8. A flamingo can only consume food when its head is upside down.
9. The Turritopsis nutricula jellyfish can revert its cells to its earliest form and grow anew in times of crisis and, as such, is said to be immortal.
10. For every human in the world, there are one million ants.
11. Peru has an annual celebration for guinea pigs, where they will dress them up in outfits, parade them, award prizes for the best dressed and then pamper and feed them.
12. Despite being able to sleep while standing up, cows can only dream when lying down.
13. To reproduce, female komodo dragons do not need a male.
14. A tiger’s legs are so powerful that they can remain standing even when dead
Disclaimer: All information and links are correct at the time of publishing.BACK TO BLOG HOME